Saturday, August 25, 2012

BEGGARS CAN'T BE BLOGGERS - Movies and Comics

Was derailed this week from sharing almost anything movie and comic wise by an amazing TV show, but I do want to share a very bizarre scene from a Tony Scott movie called “The Last Boy Scout”.  I won’t speak ill of the dead because I’ve seen a lot of people come out on Twitter and praise Scott for being a stand-up guy and a mentor, which he probably was… As a young man I got fired up every single time I saw “True Romance” but upon last viewing a few years ago,  I cringed at everything but Hopper/Walken showdown (which still holds up).  

But this scene may be one of the craziest, illogical ways to take down an armed thug EVER:




Dr. Who – BBC America

Soooo late to this party, and being aware of all the praises and accolades bestowed upon the recent version(s) of Who, I'm very happy to report it lives up to it's reputation.  But let me warn you, I'm still very much a newbie.  I'm have virtually no familiarity with the Who Multiverse.  I'm not aware of any cute nicknames for fans of the show, even though I consider myself among their number.

I've seen roughly 10 shows (9 with Christopher Eccleston and 1 with Matt Smith) and here are my scattered bulletpoints:



  1. Dr. Who (who is only referred in the program as "The Doctor") is the last of a race called the "Time Lords".   
  2. The Time Lords were wiped out in a war with their arch-enemies, The Daleks, a race that's similar to Star Trek's Borgs, substituting exterminating for assimilation; The Daleks are genetically altered to remove all emotion from their minds except for Hate, and there for want to destroy all existing life except for Dalek.
  3. Dr. Who prefers to travel with a "companion".  I gather that they are almost always human and female.
  4. Dr. Who has two hearts.
  5. Dr. Who regenerates into a new body, and this is why different actors can cycle through without calling for a complete reboot.  Why he regenerates I still don't know.  But it appears his memories don't upload immediately afterwards.
  6. His ship is called the "TARDIS".  I don't know if this is an acronym.
  7. TARDIS is alive.
  8. TARDIS looks like an old fashioned Police Box (similar to a phone booth), but due to a dimensional masking property it's secretly as big as a hotel .  I'm aware of it containing a bridge, a wardrobe, and a swimming pool but I'm quite sure there are many other rooms.
  9. TARDIS doesn't arrive to the next adventure via flight most of the time, but rather beams in and out similar to Star Trek.
  10. Dr. Who rarely uses a gun (though he isn't above it, specially when it comes to Daleks), but instead utilizes his brain or a "sonic screwdriver".
  11. The Sonic Screwdriver is also similar to data devices used on Star Trek, but it's also a master key to almost any locked door the characters stumble across.
  12. The few I've watched were mostly time travel stories rather than space travel.  But the spectrum of adventure is huge.  One episode may be hanging out fighting zombies with Charles Dickens and the next may be 200,000 years in the future fighting an oppressive television network executive.
  13. The show is driven by fantastic writing.  It does contain special effects but they never overwhelm the story.   
  14. It's a family friendly show.
  15. But that doesn’t mean it’s not sophisticated science fiction.
Now, like I said, this is what I have inferred from just a few shows so I could be offbase about a number of points.  But my biggest misconception going in was that the show was too cerebral for me, or too dry.  It's actually very easy to follow, and yet retains it’s wit & charm, and some damned scary monsters as well.
The following scene produced one of the greatest “Fuck Yeah” moments I’ve seen on any show.  This episode was written by Stephen Moffat, who is also responsible for another “Fuck Yeah” reboot, the series Sherlock, also on BBC.  This is Matt Smith’s debut as The Doctor.  Watch how he gets dressed in the climax on the rooftop, casually talking a little trash to a monster while dawning his superhero bowtie.

The Doctor
Here’s a better question; Is this world a threat to The Atraxi?    …. Well, come on.  You are monitoring the whole planet- Is this world a threat?


(The Atraxi Eye Avatar projects a hologram of human history on the rooftop, and scans all of human history in seconds)
                                            

Atraxi Eye Avatar
No!


The Doctor
Are the peoples of this world guilty of any crime by the laws of The Atraxi?
(The Atraxi Eye Avatar scans hologram of the faces of Earth citizens.)      
                                                         

Atraxi Eye Avatar
No!                            
                                                        

The Doctor
Okay…… One more.  Just one…. Is this world protected?



The way Matt Smith is adjusting the tie while the hologram gives the audience a curtain call for every actor who ever played The Doctor is the greatest “Fuck Yeah!” moment I’ve seen in a long, long time.

- Dale Beggars

No comments:

Post a Comment